Typically, well established FMCG companies top the list of high dividend paying stocks, as can be seen in the list below. However the list of good dividend paying stocks mentioned below also includes companies from other sectors like Pharma, IT, consumer durables, Power/Energy, etc.
1. Hindustan Unilever (HUL) - This is the biggest FMCG company in India. It has adividend pay out ratio of about 65% - 85% ! one of the highest in the industry. Other positives for this stock include - less sensitive to economic downturns, low debt, highest ROE (over 120% - indicating a highly efficient business model), and decent growth. However, note that recently HUL has been losing market share to Godrej Consumer Products, especially in rural areas. So although I wouldn't put all my money on this stock, this is definitely a stock you want to have in your portfolio if you are focusing on dividend.
2. Tata tea - Again, one of the good FMCG stocks to have in your portfolio.Dividend payout ratio of over 75%.
3. Castrol India - This is a debt free company with a dividend payout ratio of over 75% on average. Other attractive numbers - ROE of over 70%, almost debt free. The company has been growing at modest pace of 10% in the past 3 years (due to recession), however bottom line has grown by over 30%.
4. Nestle India - Again, a good FMCG stock with average dividend payout ratio of over 70%.
5. Godrej Consumer Products Limited (GPCL) - Godrej has better growth prospects than Hindustan Unilever, I think. It is also a good dividend paying stock, with dividend payout ratio of over 65%.
6. ITC - Indian Tobacco Company - average dividend payout ratio of about 65%, in 2009, it was 94%!.
7. Glaxo Smithkline Pharma (GLAXO) - a good pharmaceutical company, withdividend payout ratio of over 60%. I had mentioned this stock in the list of best stocks to invest in 2009, and it has indeed given over 2 times the index returns.
8. HCL Technologies - A good IT stock. Dividend payout ratio of over 60%. However, note that IT stocks are in general vulnerable to slowdown in Europe, US.
9. Clariant Chemicals - This is also a good value stock. Dividend payout ratio of over 60%.
10. Alstom Projects India - This is one stock I am planning to put my money on, not just for its high dividend payout ratio of 35%-40%, but also because this is one company which is going to benefit by the possible 'nuclear energy boom' in the country. With the Indo-US nuclear deal passed, India will see lot of investments in building Nuclear reactors. Alstom is one (of the several other) players to be benefited by this.
11. CRISIL - Crisil is the leading credit rating agency in India with a market share of over 60%. Crisil has a dividend payout ratio of around 45%. Must have stock in your portfolio.
12. Blue Star - Blue star is the market leader in India in commercial air conditioner business. It has a dividend payout ratio of over 35% and a highly efficient business model with ROE of nearly 50%. Moreover, with increasing summer temperatures throughout india, Air conditioners is something you can bet a portion of your money on.
The above is not an analysis or recommendation to buy the stocks, but it is certainly a good list from which you can pick your 'best dividend paying stocks'. I myself own several of the above stocks. Especially the last 3 stocks in the list are not exactly 'best dividend paying', but they are good dividend paying stocks which have one of the best growth prospects.